12.11.2007

Define me

We stumble trough your lives, our eyes closed tight, begging – guide me, describe me, define me.
Define me! It’s complete and utter madness. We read horoscopes. We go to psychoanalysts. We read books. We watch movies about people like us, or about the people we wish to be. We listen real hard when our friends are talking about us.
Define me! It’s not even mad. It’s plain stupid. How can anyone else know you better then you know yourself? You are the one that has been there every hour of your life. You have seen every single thing you have done, you have witnessed every thought you have ever had, you have tasted all your tears, you have smiled all our smiles.
And yet you will come up to a total stranger and beg: Define me. Why? Why can’t you do it yourself? The only answer that comes to mind is that you have tried it, and deep down inside you already know yourself better that anyone else is ever going to know you, and you don’t like what you know.
That makes sense. You have witnessed every stupid remark you have ever made, every dirty little thought that crawled up from your subconsciousness into the back of your head. You have seen yourself in the mirror at 6 am trying to look human and not succeeding. You have witnessed every weak, and mean, and stupid, and ugly thing you have ever done. It is normal that it’s hard to like yourself.
The trick is to just relax and accept it. You have got to get up the strength to stand up and say: Yes, I can be stupid! I can be cruel. I am selfish. I am weak. I am afraid. Because, you most likely are. We all are. We just have to face it, we have to accept it, and we have to learn to love it. It’s all you. It’s all me. Take away all the clothes, and the money, and the attitude and crap, and we are all pretty much the same. Weak, and selfish, and afraid.And it’s OK. Perfection is boring anyway.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: